Monday, April 2, 2012

Reading: God Never Blinks by Regina Brett


For the past year I've been on this journey to finding myself.  I guess most people have a time in their lives when they go on this journey too.  I consider myself someone who takes a lot from the books I read but usually those books are fictional.  I'm not one for non-fiction or self-help.  In fact, I've tried to read a few self-help books (and when I say self-help, I mean any book that is written to teach you something) but never seem to finish them.  The subject matters all seem interesting but I would learn more in a classroom than reading them before bed.  Simply put – I get bored.
            Needless to say, I didn't willingly buy God Never Blinks by Regina Brett.  In fact, I had never heard of it until I received it for Christmas.  My mom bought it for me and thought I would enjoy it.  I read over the table of contents and the book's summary and it all seemed very interesting.  I told myself I would read it on the side.  Fiction came first.  I began reading the book in January and read a few chapters every week.  It was simple enough.  The book is split into 50 chapters and each chapter tackles a different tip about life's little detours.  I liked it.  I felt that I could relate to Brett on so many levels.  Though she is older than I am with a lot more experience under her belt, I still felt I could relate to her as a writer and a woman of faith.  As I read about each lesson, I felt as if I'd already known them on some level.  Most of the chapters were things I had thought about before.  If anything, this book helped me think about certain topics in more depth and helped me relate them back to my own life more easily. 
            I can't say I have any negative feedback for this book because it wasn't so much story based as it was helping me with tough situations in my life.  The only thing I can say is that some chapters didn't pertain to me…like one was titled It's okay to cry in front of your children.  I'm only 21 and not having kids anytime soon so this wasn't a very helpful chapter but then again it could help me in the future.  I often assumed while reading this book that Brett assumed her audience would be in their 40's.  But who says someone my age can't try to make the best of their life spiritually and mentally today?  I'm not going to lie – I'm quite proud of myself!
            I am going to give the book 4.5 out of 5 stars.  I can't give it 5 out of 5 because that would mean it's a favorite.  It is definitely a book I know I will pick up again for advice and it taught me a lot but it didn't move me like fiction would.  I recommend the book to everyone though because Regina Brett knows her stuff.  She teaches you how to go through life with the right attitude which today is a rarity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment