Sunday, July 15, 2012

Reading: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White


In E.B. White's Charlotte's Web, a small spider who seems to have little effect on the world brings much joy to a pig named Wilbur who doesn't want to be served for Christmas dinner.  This story isn't new to me.  I grew up watching the animated film on VHS.  However, I never read the book.  I knew that reading it now would be a perfect opportunity.
            Charlotte's Web was everything I expected it to be.  I won't go into what it is about because I doubt there is anyone who hasn't heard the story!  It has been said that it is the best children's novel ever.  To start off, I loved the beginning of the story.  Right away my throat began to tighten and tears formed in my eyes as I read about Fern rescuing poor baby Wilbur from being killed for being the runt of his litter!  That is such a powerful way to begin a book!  I also love that Charlotte is a spider because spiders are, to me, gross and disgusting and scary yet Charlotte was more than that.  Charlotte was smart and kind and one of the greatest friends a person (or a pig) could ask for!  Sure she caught her food in a web and drank their blood but she also saved Wilbur's life!  No one is what you expect them to be.  People, and spiders, surprise me everyday!  There was only one thing I didn't like about the novel and that was Fern at the end.  In the beginning she was a girl who was different; she was a girl who talked to animals and lived away from what was expected of her.  Then she became a girl who only wanted to hang out with a guy and she suddenly forgot everything that had mattered to her before.  I wish White would have let Fern make a difference rather than blending in with the crowd at the end.
            Anyway, this was a short review.  I give Charlotte's Web 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment