Friday, August 10, 2012

Reading: Disney Princess Novels

I know to some it seems a bit silly and childish for me to have read two Disney princess chapter books but I found the experience to be one not only of enjoyment but learning as well.  That is what I love about reading.  I love to learn about things and reading helps me realize.  The Disney Princess chapter books take our favorite Disney Princesses and create fun and exciting tales for them that stays true to their films and their character.

I started off with Ariel's story, The Shimmering Star Necklace.  The plot line was basic and perfect for a young 7 or 8 year old to read.  It reminded me a lot of books such as Cam Jansen and the Magic Tree House Series.  In the book, Ariel was helping a young girl to sing at a school concert when one day the girl is missing and Ariel must help find her.  The story presents a very interesting mystery and was very fun to try and put the puzzle pieces together!  The story also held a lot of Disney magic while still hanging onto respectful writing that sets the story apart from other Disney books out there for kids.  The only fault I saw was the dialogue at times between Ariel and her sisters.  It was very cheesy and a bit "too much" like a kids story instead of a piece of literature for kids.  Disney always teaches us lessons but in this book there was no set lesson stated but an overall lesson in watching Ariel solve the mystery.  It proves that she isn't just a boring princess who only stays with Eric all day.


I read Belle's story last because Belle is my favorite Disney Princess and I wanted to save the best for last.  Belle's story was titled The Mysterious Message. I absolutely loved Belle's story!  Obviously my favorite Disney film is Beauty and the Beast and reading about the castle and the enchanted objects and Belle's and Adam's journey to falling in love was wonderful.  In this book, Belle finds a book that is missing some pages and she is desperate to find them so she can finish reading.  On her journey she learns about the castle while also learning about Adam's past in the process.  The search for the book brings the two main characters closer together and there seems to be something there that wasn't there before.  Like Ariel's story, the writing was respectful and really shows that these books are worth having in school libraries.  Again, the lesson consists inside the story and it seems to be the same as Ariel's that these girls aren't just boring and vulnerable but independent and ready to take on any challenge.

I give them 5 out of 5 stars!  They were both fun reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment