Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Reading: Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

Here I am with yet another Rob Bell book review.  Don't worry, this will be the last one for a while.  Also, unlike my last Rob Bell review, I'm hoping this review will actually be a good review instead of me just ranting about why Rob Bell confuses me.  Let's get started!
Velvet Elvis is another one of the books I listened to instead of actually reading.  I don't think I am going to be doing much with audiobooks any longer - mainly because the information doesn't stick with me and the impact doesn't feel as real as it would feel with reading words on pages.  Plus, I feel like I am cheating when I listen to audiobooks.  It isn't the same experience for me.
Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis has nothing to do with Elvis.  I mean, Bell mentions Elvis in the very beginning of the book but I'm not exactly sure what his excerpt had to do with anything the book talks about.  It makes for an interesting title though...I guess?  Anyway, in this book Bell talks about repainting the Christian faith.  The stand out analogy for me in this text was when Bell compared faith to jumping on a trampoline vs. building a brick wall.  When our faith is set firmly like bricks in a wall, we will always be unmoving and unchanging.  If one brick is taken out of the wall, we fall to the ground.  However, when our faith is like a trampoline, we find we as Christians are much more flexible.  Because faith and culture are always changing, we need to be open to new ideas that will spring us forward (or up higher).  This is one of the many analogy's Bell uses in this book and I must say, I find this one specifically to be quite poignant. 
As usual with Bell, we have the overly cheesy chapter titles and closing sentences.  Although I do not prefer audiobooks, Bell is a rare author that I like to listen to.  I don't think it is because he has a nice voice or that he brings his books to life.  His reading made the book seem more like an extra long sermon rather than a 100 page book.  I can't say this is a good thing but I say it more to justify me listening to the book instead of actually reading it.
Moving on...that is all I really have to say about Velvet Elvis.  Unfortunately I waited a long time to write this review so not only is my memory failing me but I also don't want to say too much about the book because that would make me write a ten page blog post.  There are a lot of topics that Bell touches upon in this book and I can't even come close to addressing them all.  I will give this book 4 out of 5 stars and I encourage you to read it (or at least listen to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment