Monday, November 11, 2013

Reading: Harry Potter for Nerds edited by Travis Prinzi

Ever since being a guest on MuggleNet Academia this past June, my world has dived head first into Potter mania.  I recently reread all seven books for a sixth time and have been able to convince my friend to read the series along with me though how much she enjoys it, I will leave it to the imagination.  I have become a regular listener to the MuggleNet podcast called Alohomora!, a global reread of the Potter books, and I continue to listen to MuggleNet Academia.  The things I have learned and discovered in these past five months is nothing short of remarkable.  I can't say that I look at Harry Potter in the same way that I did at the start of 2013.  I now have a much greater love the for complexities of the characters, J.K. Rowling's wonderfully circular crafting of the series, and the beautiful names, spells, and places that come from the Latin language.
It was during one of my listens to MuggleNet Academia that I heard of Travis Prinzi, a Harry Potter academic.  An entire episode was dedicated to Prinzi's new book - Harry Potter for Nerds.  On the episode, hosts Keith Hawk and John Granger discussed Prinzi's new book of essays and what to expect from it.  After listening to the podcast, I drove home from work and ordered Harry Potter for Nerds on Amazon. 
This book was just as excellent as I expected it to be.  The content was so unique and unlike I had ever heard.  This book, I believe, is one of many (and many more to come) that ultimately prove that Harry Potter is a book series worth studying in academia and worth reading.  The series is a modern day classic.  Essays in this book include Is There Hope for Slytherin House?, There and Back Again: The Chiastic Structure of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series, Muggle Studies 101, Technological Anarchism, Merlin's Pants!: The World of Wizard Insult, Cracking the Planetary Code, and more!  Those essays I just listed are all fantastic and so are the others in the book.  I can't give this book enough praise.  The essays were well written by a diverse group of individuals, each united by their love of this book series.  I recommend the book to any lover of literature and especially to those Harry Potter fans that want to study these books on a higher, academia level.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment