Sunday, December 8, 2013

Reading: Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

As a lover of all things Potter and fairy tales/stories, I bought Tales of Beedle the Bard right after the final film came out to theaters though didn't pick it up right away.  I think part of me felt that since the book series and the movies had come to a close, this would be a short re-entrance into the Wizarding World and I didn't want to enter and leave it again so quickly.  This past summer/fall I reread the Harry Potter series for the sixth time and figured it was the perfect time to finally pick up the Wizards book of fairy tales. 
Right away I have to say that J.K. Rowling truly is a literary genius.  I get that the Harry Potter series is a bit overrated...it doesn't need to be said.  But for those who take the time to reread these books and analyze them (ex. Alohomora Podcast, Mugglenet Academia Podcast), readers can see all the time and brilliance that Rowling poured into the series.  The same can be said for this small edition, Tales of Beedle the Bard.  The book contains five Wizard fairy tales, the most popular one being (and my personal favorite) the Tale of the Three Brothers.  I guess I consider this a favorite because it holds some nostalgia from reading the final Harry Potter book since it is a big part of the plot.  Another reason I love it is because of the message.  I read it and it feels as if I have read it before as a child.  The story shares the message that not everything is what it seems and that we should be
careful with the choices we make - the same themes we see in the Harry Potter series as well.  This story, and the other four, belong on all children's bookshelves.  Rowling truly is a magnificent writer. 
The other four stories were enjoyable as well.  What I enjoyed most though were the statements made by "Albus Dumbledore" after each tale.  Rowling really knows her characters and is nothing short of brilliant when she writes as Dumbledore himself outside of the Harry Potter book canon.  Not only do we hear from Dumbledore's voice but in that we learn more about the history of this world Rowling has created and I love it!  It is really well done.
The stories were great, though some not as great as others.  Overall, it is a nice read and great if you have any young kids in your life who love reading or being read to.  I will give the Tales of Beedle the Bard 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment