Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mini Book Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Curious Case of Benjamin ButtonThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I should state right away that I never saw the movie that was loosely based on this short story. I may once have been interested to see it but have since cared much more about reading this fairly unknown book by the author of the great gatsby. It took me under an hour to read this story. At first I found it to be a bit much but I really enjoyed the turns this book took the reader on. It really seems to comment on what it means to be a child and what it means to be an old man and what it means to be in between the two. The story comments on stigmas of society, showing Benjamin's father and son both almost afraid of him and embarrassed by him. No one seems to be aware of how wonderful and scary his predicament is. Watching Benjamin de-age was heartbreaking because even though he is an old man and has experienced much, he is not taken seriously and told he can't do anything. One thing I wondered while reading is, where is his mother? She is hardly ever mentioned. And can I just comment on the fact that it isn't explained how she gave birth to an old man? I know this is a short story and it shouldn't be taken all too seriously when it comes to nitty gritty facts but come on!  Can't think of much else to say about this story. It was a nice quick quick quick read but I don't think I have gotten much out of it



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment