Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mini Book Review: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner

Politically Correct Bedtime StoriesPolitically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is just as funny as the title implies it to be. I'm so glad someone had the guts to confront the issue of political correctness in fairytales by writing their own group of fairytales! I mean, these were spot on. They served the purpose of tackling an issue that we are faced with in the modern day and did it in a hilarious fashion. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud so much when reading a book.
It's a quick read which was nice.
It helps when you are familiar with the fairytales. For example - I've never read the emperors new clothes so even though some parts were funny, I didn't really get the point of the story.
We live in a time when people are way way way too sensitive, especially when it comes to portraying people in stories, movies and tv.
Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book, which I noticed someone else used in their review as well so kudos!
"The wolf said, 'You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone.' Red Riding Hood said, 'I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop your own, entirely valid, worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way.'" Pure comedy gold. Much better than those stand up comedians they've got on Netflix haha.
Overall, nicely done. I look forward the reading the second installment which I have already ordered!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment