Monday, August 4, 2014

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis Mini Review

Bud, Not BuddyBud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bud lives in a home for kids who no longer have a home. He'd rather still be living with his mom but she died and his father is a mystery. After being sent to live with a terrible family, Bud decides to run away and find his father. Always at his side is his trusty suitcase which holds clues left by his mother as to who his father is and where he would be living.
I was first introduced to this book when I was ten because my fourth grade teacher was reading it. I never read it but bought the books for my brother as a gag gift one year for Christmas...it's a long story. Anyway, I've been completing a summer reading challenge and I figured this book would be a good pick for a historical read since it takes place during the Great Depression.
The book was pretty boring for me...at least the first 3/4. It was the final quarter that saved the day. I absolutely loved the ending of this book. It was so well thought out and creative and moving. I never saw it coming. The ending alone is enough to make me recommend this book. That being said I can't ignore the 3/4 that bored me to death which is why I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment