Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reading:The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – one of the all time literature classics.  Growing up, the story was always forced upon me and I don't mean that in a bad way.  I just mean – my teacher's read it to us in the form of picture books, the school library had an entire fantasy section with lots of Narnia quotes and pictures (and of course the books), and then when I was in middle school the films came out.  I finally got a chance to read the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series when I was in 10th grade – The Magician's Nephew.  I loved it!  I couldn't quite call it my favorite book but looking back, I always smile when I think about the first book.  That's what I love most about books.  You aren't just reading a story about fictional characters, but forming your own story in your life because you read this story. 
            The Silver Chair is the sixth book in the Chronicles of Narnia series.  It centers around a character named Jill and her friend Eustace (who readers or movie watchers may remember from Voyage of the Dawn Treader) who travel to Narnia after escaping some bullies at their awful boarding school.  The two are separated for a short while and in that short time, Jill meets Aslan the lion who gives her a mission – to find the son of King Caspian X, Prince Rilian, who disappeared many years ago.  When the two characters meet up again, they begin their quest where they encounter large talking owls, hungry giants, a lady wearing a green dress, and people who live miles under Narnian soil. 
            The Silver Chair was another great book in the Narnia series.  While it is easy to miss the four Pevensie children we’ve grown to love (since they are missing from the book), the new characters are very likeable.  Adventure and mystery are at every turn and this is a great example of an adventure/fantasy/ “fairy tale” novel that brilliantly ties in moral lessons with the events that occur.  It is an easy read that I had a hard time putting down sometimes.  The only complaint I have is that a lot of scenes were drawn out too long and the characters were sometimes stupid because they didn't realize the most obvious things that I noticed straight away.  That sort of ruined the book for me because I knew what was going to happen. 
           
Overall, I give The Silver Chair 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment