Thursday, February 13, 2014

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell

I am back with another audio book review!  I still can't believe how many books I have listened to these past few months.  I feel like I am cheating on reading itself.  Then again, I think that whole MIT invention is far worse than audio books so I digress (if you don't know what I am talking about, go to google and search MIT novel vest).
Once again, I have come across a book that was extremely enjoyable to listen to!  I didn't expect to ever pick up David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell.  I have never heard of Gladwell before reading this book (except for the fact that he was in a magazine I read called Relevant a few weeks before I bought this audio book) so I came into it with a fresh pair of eyes.  I was a bit nervous to listen because I have my own opinions on the David and Goliath story and feared that Gladwell would try and force his own opinions on mine and quite frankly, I didn't want to think that hard about it.  However, Gladwell didn't force his opinions but rather gave an excellent argument to why the biblical tale is still relevant and always has been relevant in the world.
The very first chapter sort of blew my mind when Gladwell began to really pick at the David and Goliath story and ended up coming to many conclusions - one being that Goliath probably had some sort of disease which was a disadvantage to him fighting little David.  I won't go into the details and spoil it but it was some really interesting and hard hitting material.
Gladwell's main purpose with this book is to flip how we view the underdogs journey.  He argues that the answers to our questions aren't always black and white and we have to think outside the box.  I know it sounds cliche but it is the truth.  Gladwell uses examples from the Civil Rights movement and Martin Luther King Jr. to a teenage basketball team.  He draws from many different aspects of life and somehow ties everything together in one beautiful portrait that really changes the way we view the underdog.
There are times when Gladwell seems to go on tangents and by the end I am not sure how his points support his argument but there were very few of these moments.  Not much else to say about the book.
Is this book quality?  YES.  It is quality because it gives the reader a new perspective on something we thought we already had figured out!  Great book!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment